Wednesday, 16 June 2010

That damn shawl...

If you've followed me over from my old Livejournal blog, you'll quite possibly remember the tale of two years ago that was titled "That damn shawl...". For anyone too lazy to click the link to the blog post where it all started... well, two years ago as a rather inexperienced knitter, I decided it would be the most awesome idea to knit my first lace. Ok, so not such a crazy idea... but wait for it...



Yup, that's cobweb lace. 1 ply. Black.

Anyway, the pattern I'd chosen was from Simply Knitting, January 2008, the freebie pattern "Hearts and flowers shawl". Its beautiful. I cast on July 2008... and turns out I made all kinds of mad mistakes.

It kept being put into hibernation as I found new and more shiny projects to do, like socks! I discovered the joy that is sock knitting! But then I realised it was heading towards two years OTN, and I had to get it finished.



So I did. That picture above is before blocking and having the ends woven in. The picture below is after blocking.



And of course, a lovely close up :)



So those mad mistakes... well, as I blocked the shawl, I discovered a dropped stitch. Then another. Oh, and a third. So before taking the blocking wires out, I fixed those mistakes with the cunning use of sewing. Basically used a crochet hook to pick up the stitch to as far as I could, and then with a bit of the left over yarn I sewed the stitch into the stitch next to it. Oh yes, cunning.

Will I use cobweb yarn again? Quite possibly, but not black. And if as a beginning knitter someone asks me if cobweb yarn would be a good choice for their first lace project, I'd tell them to RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxx Elle xxx

5 comments:

  1. It is absolutely gorgeous though honey! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, that is so pretty! And possibly the cutest shawl pattern I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Crazy-fine yarn and in Black! Are your eyes OK? I would be blind by now if I tried to knit that!
    It looks fab. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you :) I made sure I had plenty of good light, and kept my white chart underneath the knitting! Think that helped a lot!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...