Monday, 19 July 2010

Short row heels and Tour de Fleece update!

So yeah! We're now on Day 17 of the Tour de Fleece, and I'm on my 5th bobbin of singles:

Very exciting I know, looks just like all the other bobbins! So to vary it up a bit...


Here's a picture of the four finished bobbins! YAY! 

Weirdly enough, I'm still enjoying spinning this, even though there is no colour variations (ie pink into green type thing), I like watching it barber pole with the natural colour variations though, sometimes there is a brown hair, other times a really dark grey, and occasionally what could be a black! 

And I've been knitting! I finished a sock. Yes. A sock. Still haven't finished pair #2 for the 26 Pair Plunge I yet, considering I now have 3 pairs of socks on the needles. 

The pattern is "Socks of Kindness" and the yarn is Violet Green Socrates, in club colourway "Nov '09". The colours have been bleached slightly, its a lot deeper in real life. 

Anyway, take a look at that heel. Yup, thats my first short row heel!


It wasn't too bad to do, I used this tutorial as recommended by the pattern, and then made a modification. The first time I did it, I ended up with big holes where you join back to the pattern on the top of the foot. I tried to pick up a stitch, but it just looked too obvious. So I had a plan.

My plan! Well, it worked pretty darn well I have to say. Instead of wrapping the first and last heel stitches, don't! Leave them free. Wrap the second and the second to last stitch. No holes! I was very impressed. Its probably already known out there to do that, but it was my first short row heel, I didn't do masses of research to find out how to stop the holes (I just asked Twitter lol), and I feel slightly intelligent that I came up with this!

And you know what?
 

I liked knitting it! Much faster than a heel flap, and you go straight back to having the same number of stitches! No gussett decreases! Time saver ;)

xxx Elle xxx

2 comments:

  1. So are you going to be all short rows, all the time now?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its doubtful. Sometimes a heel flap looks better. But yarns with a short yardage... yeah, I can see this helping!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...