Saturday, 19 February 2011

Bunnies!

I haven't finished much over the past couple of weeks because I've been so intent on getting my Veil Of Isis shawl to 50% complete. And I did.





It doesn't look like much, its difficult to take a decent picture of lace when its still being worked on, especially when its in the round (this is my first square shawl! HUZZAH!). But you can see the little tail of the end of the first skein of yarn. I doubt I will actually use all of the second skein, but I'm going to try my hardest! I think there is some shawl calculator out there somewhere that you can plug numbers in, and it tells you how much yardage you should have left before you start certain sections... if anyone knows where I can find such a thing, I'd be forever grateful if you could let me know and I would love you always.

But what have I finished? Two very small things. I have a friend who's baby is due any day now, and I wanted to make some little bits for her. She lives on a boat on the canal though, so I didn't want to make anything that she'd have to get rid of quickly (not much storage space on boats as you can imagine). Well, I crocheted the spiral baby blanket for her, thinking that has many uses, and then came up with the fabulous idea... babies go through a lot of bibs. And I have cotton just sitting in my stash doing nothing.




The first bib has a bunny on it. Its not brilliant, I still think it looks more like a long, floppy eared dog. But its all about the symbolism too. The baby will be born into the Year of the Rabbit (if you follow the Chinese year thingies). Plus bunnies are very very cute.

The second was reflecting me somewhat, in being a little Goth. Although you could also see a little bit of a penguin in it:




Yeah, I ran out of the black/grey/white and didn't have enough white leftover from the bunny bib, so had to continue in black.

I'm spinning the lovely My Heart Exposed's humbug BFL in Indigo Moon at the moon. I'm fairly certain its the tinniest single I've ever done. But I've split the fluff into thirds, and I'm going to make my first 3-ply yarn. Not counting the navajo plying I've done, obviously :P Here's a picture of the gorgeous fluff to begin with:



I really should take more in progress pictures of my spinning. I mean, its not like my iPhone is a million miles away from me when I do anything :P

Today my lovely Joy and I are going out with KnitCave to the Wiltshire Guild of Spinners, Weavers and Dyers again. Which will be fun for us all :D YAY!

xxx Elle xxx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elle your shawl is really coming on now and is starting to take shape, brilliant. I am absolutely loving your podcasts by the way. Really looking forward to seeing your Indigo Moon all spun into 3ply yarn, its all very exciting :) Hope you have a fab time at the guild today. Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link to a knitting calculator, if you're still interested

    http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlineec/knittingCalculator.asp

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...