Thursday, 31 March 2011

Day Four: 31st March. Where are they now? 2KCBWDAY4

Whatever happened to your __________?
Write about the fate of a past knitting project. Whether it be something that you crocheted or knitted for yourself or to give to another person. An item that lives with you or something which you sent off to charity.

Let's talk about the first pair of socks I ever knit. DK weight yarn (Sirdar Denim Tweed), 3.75mm DPNs, and the pattern Campfire. It's an incredibly well written pattern, taking you easily through each stage of knitting the sock in a lovely chatty manner. I just trusted everything this pattern said to me.






Here is the first sock, having completed the leg and the heel flap. I was a little scared when turning the heel, but the pattern said to trust it, and I did.


Phew! It worked! Look at that wonderful hell turn :P My first ever heel turn! So glad I documented it. I carried on with the foot, wondering how I would know when to stop for the toes...


Ooo... about there ish right? For a first sock, its not looking bad!

And here it is, the first sock completed:


And it was a darn good fit! Shame they were never actually intended for me...


Here is my nan, on her 70th birthday, opening her handknit socks. My first pair of knit socks.

She wore them so much. Her partner George would tell me how when she wasn't feeling well, or had cold feet at night, he would go to my nan's sock drawer, get out my socks, and put them on her feet.

My nan told me she would show them off to her friends, who were all jealous that she had a granddaughter who could knit so well. "Socks," they would say, "they were always the hardest thing I would knit."

Sadly these socks have deceased. My nan wore them so much they developed holes, ones so big I was unable to darn them.

Still, at least I know they were loved, and my nan will always be on my "To Knit For" list.

xxx Elle xxx

10 comments:

  1. Oh, that's so lovely! Such a nice idea that our woolly creations go out into the world, nice to spare a thought for what they are up to these days :) I know my first ever knit (a tea cosy I knitted for my mum) ended up covered in tea and was ultimately destroyed by a dog with one eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your first socks and your story.

    Their is something so special about your first sock. Well done for doing a pair.

    My first sock was just one very small sock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very good sign, when your handmades have literally been worn to bits. It means they really loved the gift! The socks look lovely too, can't blame your nan for wanting to wear them all the time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so lovely; haven't you knit her any more? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the lovely comments :)

    I have knit my nan loads more socks! I have two more pairs to go out into the post for her today, its Mother's Day in the UK on Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurray for hand knit socks, and for wonderful knitworthy people

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great story and so sweet about George getting them out for her when she needed them. They were certainly loved and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is such a nice story. And that yarn is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to bake these socks some muffins... what a great story!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...