Monday, 28 March 2011

Day One: 28th March. A Tale of Two Yarns. 2KCBWDAY1

Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.

That yarn there... thats Sirdar Click DK. Its 30% wool and 70% acrylic. I bought it with my friend Emily, who bought the same yarn only in a mustard type yellow, from Get Knitted in Brislington. At the time it was the best yarn either of us could afford, and we were both going to knit the same top (Giselle). When we bought our yarn, we thought it was fabulous, it was soft and shiny. We cast on at the same time, but soon I was knitting ahead. And then I stopped. I fell out of love with the pattern.

That was the official line anyway. I actually fell out of love with the yarn.

Shortly after starting, I fell ill. A year later I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. During that time I started to become more sensitive to things - sounds, vibrations, the way things feel...

And this yarn became squeaky. And scratchy.

It had far too much acrylic in it for my liking.

And the project just sat there, until February 2010, when I frogged it for the Ravelympics.

I have since used some of the yarn, I crocheted a cardigan which I never documented. Mostly because when I take the cardie off you can hear the static. I have some of this yarn still, I think it will either be donated somewhere, or become a baby blanket.


 And now, some yummy yarn. Laughing Yaffle. The sock yarn of happiness. I have at least 13 skeins of Yaffle yarn in my stash. These two are one of the first lots I bought. I can't remember if they were actually the first (in which case TechGeek bought them for me), or the first I bought after I got my new job. Either way, they were early on, and neither of them have been used yet. Miss Scarlet (the red one) will definitely be used this year for the UK Sock Knitter's A-Z KAL, for my W pattern (Whorl/Whirl).

I really love Yaffle yarns for a variety of reasons. Let me list some for you:
  1. The amazing colours. They are beautiful. They always look good together. They are intense. They don't fade after multiple washes. Stunning.
  2. The yardage. For approx 100g you get approx 460 yards. Thats freakin' generous. Thats more than enough for your average adult pair of socks. I usually have a fair bit left over, so I've started making my socks a tiny bit longer.
  3. The price. £9.99. Billy bargain or what for an indie dyed yarn! 
  4. The service. Posted as quickly as possible, wrapped in pink tissue paper, sprinkled with glittery stars, hearts, shiny things. Lushness.
  5. The smell. Oh my god the smell. Not to everyones taste I'm sure, but I love it. Unfortunately it does make me itch these days, but I'm not complaining! Whatever the yarn is finally washed in... its yum!
  6. The wearability. Its 80% wool and 20% nylon, making it strong! One of my longest wearing pairs of socks is my yellow pair that was knit over a year and a half ago. They still look amazing, no signs of wear (touch wood!), and no colour fading.
And those are my reasons for loving this sock yarn. Its definitely one of my favourites.

Day one complete. I'm liking this!

xxx Elle xxx

1 comment:

  1. You're early!

    And :-P cos I'm doing Yaffle too, damn you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...