Saturday, 2 April 2011

Day six: 2nd April. Something to aspire to. 2KCBWDAY6

Is there a pattern or skill that you don’t yet feel ready to tackle but which you hope to (or think you can only dream of) tackling in the future, near or distant? Is there a skill or project that makes your mind boggle at the sheer time, dedication and mastery of the craft? Maybe the skill or pattern is one that you don’t even personally want to make but can stand back and admire those that do. Maybe it is something you think you will never be bothered to actually make but can admire the result of those that have.

"If you're looking for a standard to which you can aspire then baby, look at me!" - Janet Majors (Shock Treatment)

First of all, I want to learn to knit Continental Style. For no other reason than because I can. Its a skill, I want to learn it. Plus I hear its a good thing to learn for the next skill I want to learn.

Colourwork. I want to knit Fair Isle. I want to knit the Toxic Socks from Knit Picks, because lets face it, I'm still pretty Goth at heart :P But they are very cool, and they are socks, and it will involve learning a new skill.

Entrelac. Again, as a pair of socks. Socks are fab for learning stuff on right? They are so small!

As for socks, I want to learn different construction techniques. I've done cuff-down (my personal preferance), toe-up, heel flap with gussett, short-row heel. I've done different types of heel flaps, and two different short-row heels. I learnt to Kitchener stitch from socks, and stretchy ways to cast off (I prefer the EZ sewn bind off).

But I want to take my socks further. I want to knit them starting with the heel, like the Hat-Heel Socks from Knitty. Learn how to do an after thought heel, supposed to be good for keeping self-striping yarn in its place. Maybe, if you were to twist my arm, Sideways Socks, although personally I don't like the way they look!

And of course, there is my spinning. I want to improve my spinning. I want to spin laceweight, I want to spin thicker than a DK weight. I want to try all different fibres, I want to spin my Qiviut!
Mmm Qiviut!

You know what I aspire to most of all though?

To still be doing this in 5, 10, 20, 30 years. To still be having fun. To still be learning different things.

To still be a knitter and a spinner!

xxx Elle xxx

8 comments:

  1. Those goals sound awesome to me. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm looking forward for YEARS of knitting too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thought of learning more and more every year for the rest of my life is really exciting. I want to be one of those old wise knitters - the guru who knows so much at the knitting group, and then to be surprised with a new technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, there's always something to learn, which makes this even more fun! Best of luck on meeting all your aspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is always something else to learn and this is why I keep classing self as a beginner to intermediate knitter. I keep meeting people who have skills which make me class them as masters

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Toxic socks are bada**! I love how they're unisex and can be knit in different color combos.
    You have great goals to strive for. One little step at a time right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh right, Continental! I totally forgot about that. Adding it to my own list now. As for the knitting forever goal, I'm with you on that too. Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great that you still have so many goals. I agree a small project is the best way to start, though socks are my downfall (bad case of 2nd sock syndrome), so I like hats!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...