Monday, 4 April 2011

The Veil... She is complete!

Because of the funness that was the Second Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week (2KCBW - see previous 7 entries haha!), I was unable to show the beauty of the finally finished Veil of Isis.

It all started back in January, with just a handful of items:

And a close up of the gauge swatch:
Now, looking at the gauage swatch I thought the size of the needles was good (2.5mm - the pattern calls for 2.25mm needles). We will revisit this idea later...

I plugged along, knitting away like anything. She was the only project I took with me when TechGeek and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary at Centre Parcs. She got a lot of work done then, she came out of that 50% completed.

Oh the joy of unblocked lace! Just looks like a huge... well... a huge grey blob. And thats what she was right then.

I got closer and closer to finishing, I had almost completed the 7th repeat (pattern called for 5, but I wanted my Isis to be BIG!), when I weighed the remaining yarn and...

Yeah, I wasn't going to have enough to knit the border. Bum.

I sat for about a day, staring at the border chart, trying to see a way to reduce it so I could keep that last repeat. It wasn't going to happen, the flow from the pattern into the border was seamless, flawless, I couldn't mess around with it.

Which left the only other option.

Ripping out 30 rounds... each one over 1000 stitches.

And guess who had been so cocky she hadn't used a lifeline?

Yeah, that'd be me.

So, after Shrek and Shrek 2 had played, Isis had been ripped back, stitches picked up and the first round of border worked.

It took a week to finish, but finished she finally was.

Blocking wires make easy work of blocking lace these days! Thank you my lovely gorgeous TechGeek!

But, I wasn't happy. Remember the gauge swatch? Well, it appears that the pattern designer must be a very loose knitter. Using 2.25mm needles, she'd created a shawl that had drape, was open and lacey, and bigger than mine, only using 5 pattern repeats. I'd used 2.5mm needles, I'm not a tight knitter, I generally get gauge spot on, and I'd used 6 pattern repeats. I'd even used a merino/bamboo (from The Thylacine) blend so it would grow with blocking!

Still, she's finished. She keeps me warm.

And she's all mine! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!


xxx Elle xxx

2 comments:

  1. She's lovely, even if he's nt quite what you expected!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...