Monday, 2 May 2011

Pair #24, some handspun, and some OWLs

That is pair #24. Hedgerow would be the pattern, and yet again, another pair of man socks in black Regia! I really liked this pattern, it went quickly. I had hoped to do Herringbone Rib from Knitting Socks With Handpainted Yarn, but the pattern just didn't show up. Oh, this is also my H sock for the UK Sock Knitter's A-Z KAL.

And here is a close up of the pattern. Its nice and stretchy!
I have finished some handspun! YAY! I love spinning. If it wasn't so windy today I'd be outside with my wheel, finishing up some My Heart Exposed Humbug BFL I've got going. But what I have finished went from looking like this:
(Photo from The Thylacine's website - this is shetland fibre in colourway My Island Home).

And I spun it up into singles, and then navajo plied it into this:
Got good long colour runs! And pretty decent yardage too for 200g... I have 730 yards! Weeee! Wonder how much that would have been just as a 2 ply? Well, its fingering weight anyway, and its balanced as the skein doesn't curl back on itself. Happy!

For anyone who listens to the Miss Elle Knits Podcast (and if you don't, you so should coz I'm utterly adorable and not at all arrogant :P), or you know me in real life... you'll know I love Harry Potter and take part in the Harry Potter Knit/Crochet House Cup over on Ravelry. And well, we have our own OWLs. Which I submitted my proposals to do two yesterday, and they've both been approved! YAY!

So first up, is my Muggle Studies OWL. In this OWL I should be crafting an adult sized garment to blend in with the Muggles (those are the non-magic folks). I'll finally be knitting the B-Side Cardigan. Here are my supplies and my gauge swatch:

Up next is the History of Magic OWL. I chose the option to craft 3 items to represent 3 characters from the HP books. I also chose a theme of Women Who Fought At The Battle of Hogwarts. My first is Minerva McGonogall:
Thats my handspun from above, going to be a Clapotis. The colours reflect McGonogall's Scottish ancestry.

Second is Molly Weasley:
Thats also my handspun from a while back, The Thylace alpaca/merino blend in Walkabout. The pattern is A Beginner's Triangle, from the book A Gathering of Lace. The colours here represent the red hair of the Weasley family.

And finally, we have Bellatrix. She's a saucy little minx.
This is the Knitting Goddess merino/tencel laceweight left over from knitting the Featherweight Cardigan (my first OWL in Arithmancy), and the pattern is Galathea, a delightful little shawl/scarf. I think the colour here really brings out the evil in Bellatrix.

And so, thats what I'll mostly be knitting on for the next 3 months! Plus some socks of course, got to hand those in for classes. YAY!

xxx Elle xxx

1 comment:

  1. Wowzers, that's lots of knitting you've got lined up there. :-) Hope it is all really good fun, and not as hard as Potions always seems to be in the books.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...