Monday, 8 August 2011

Making Monday - Galathea

Look at what else I've finished recently:
Its the Galathea Shawl/Scarf from Åsa Tricosa, using the Knitting Goddess merino/tencel laceweight. Its a completely stunning shawl, but I had problems.

As with all projects, I started with a gauge swatch.

No, that wasn't my problem! My problem had to do with the chart vs my brain.

My brain, whilst relishing in knitting patterns that look complicated, likes things to be simple. My brain, after all, is a fibro brain, and has a bt of short term memory loss. So I'll look at a chart and see one symbol means knit, but it won't register that is the right side symbol, and means something completely different on the wrong side.

After a few false starts (practice runs if you will) at trying to comprehend the chart (which I never managed to memorise), I got going. Can I just say how awesome the cast on is for this shawl? It is absolutely genius. And you kitchener to finish! I won't say much more, as I don't want to give away the fantastic construction... but wow, it is inspired!

Well, halfway through I realised that my shawl really wasn't looking the same as everyone elses on Ravelry. Turns out I'd just been following the chart which had you increase every right side row, but the written instructions say that after a certain length, you increase every other right side row. Ho hum. Fibro brain.

But I slogged along, I kept on knitting... I kept on knitting...

And then it came to blocking! Oh my days, how do you block a shawl like this?!

Not sure you can see, but I used blocking wires in the centre yarn overs, and pins on each little pointy bit. Took about a day to dry, it was very warm at the time!

And here is a close up of the pattern -

I will admit to putting a little moan about the chart problem (which we think may also have to do with me using charts mostly on socks - no right or wrong sides to worry about!) on my Ravelry project page, and the designer got in contact with me to apologise! Completely threw me, it wasn't her fault that my brain wasn't working! I'd managed to get through it and have a fabulous finished object, so it definitely wasn't the pattern that was broken. But I really appreciate Åsa taking the time to contact me, and I would like to encourage you to take a look at her designs on Ravelry, and maybe fav or even queue some of them :)

So there we have it, my second Making Monday. I might even start a WIP Wednesday blog post from now on. Its kind of fun having a schedule to blog to!

xxx Elle xxx

PS: Big thanks to The Yarn Yard for starting the Making Monday - I'm loving it!

4 comments:

  1. This shawl is lovely, well done for sticking with it! I know what you mean about having a schedule to blog to! I take part in a wip wednesday and a finished object (fo) friday over on this blog http://tamisamis.blogspot.com/
    You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting itchy fingers after finishing my first lace knit shawl - yours is so beautiful and that cast on is pretty neat!!!!

    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely stunning Elle really love this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so beautiful... I can sympathise about the chart - I'm absolutely fine with Fair Isle charts but lace charts just completely bewilder me. I keep avoiding patterns with charts for that reason, but I suppose I should just take a deep breath and go for it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...