Saturday, 20 August 2011

Sewing Saturday - The long and the short of it

First up, let me just say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to comment on my blog! Its very much appreciated :)

I'm not sure if I've blogged about Lorelai yet. She's my sewing machine :D Yes, I finally got one! She's a Brother X-5, and was on sale from Argos. I've been playing around, making a few bags, some Very Hungry Caterpillar bunting (blog post on that to come, I promise!)... Primarily I wanted a sewing machine so I could make my own clothes. Its so difficult to find little skirts and dresses in black (I still have my Gothic fancies, even if I don't wear all the velvet/lace/leather and make up anymore).

And I also want to learn to repair or re-purpose my clothes. I hate wasting things. Sure I'll happily take them to the charity shop if they don't fit or suit me anymore, but if theres something I could do to make them better... I'd rather do that.

Enter my very favourite skirt from Per Una:

Yes, thats a bit of an old picture of me now. It was taken when TechGeek and I did part of the Bath Skyline walk in April 2009.

So I've had this skirt a fair few years now. Its slightly too big on the waist, but thats fine because I like to wear it low on my hips (much more comfy for the fibro!). However, that meant the last part of the fabric rubbed against the floor, I tripped over it... and it was pretty much in tatters. I stopped wearing it.

Now I'm much more into shorter skirts and little dresses... and I had a dream that I could make this skirt into a short skirt.

And look! I did!

And for a close up:

Yes, I do feel a little clever right now. I never thought I'd wear this skirt again! And all it took was cutting a bit of the skirt off, and making a hem. Genius.

Now I just need to work out what to do with the rest of the skirt... Any ideas?

xxx Elle xxx

1 comment:

  1. Make another skirt out the rest of the skirt? Add some elastic for the waistband and voila, you've got yourself a longer version of the short skirt you've got now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...