Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Day 3 - Your Knitting Or Crochet Hero 3KCBWDAY3

Me, great grandma, mum and nan

For long-term readers of the blog and listeners of the podcast, it should come as no surprise that my hero is my nan. And my mum. And in some ways my great grandma (thats all of us up there in that picture from October 2010 - as far as I know my great grandma is still alive!).

And though he is no longer with us - my grandad. I have distinct memories of going to a yarn store my nan and grandad, where my nan would buy handknitting wool and my grandad would buy machine knitting cones of wool, and I would pick up the resident cat and love all over it. From this same shop I believe I was bought a knitting nancy, my first long stitch sewing picture kit, and I probably helped to choose colours of yarn.

My grandad had 3 knitting machines I think. He was probably the one who bought me the children's knitting machine that was pink and probably about half a metre in length. I remember just chugging up and down, up and down and making huge lengths of fabric. Nothing ever happened with these fabrics, but I was doing what grandad did.

My nan initially taught me to knit, but as a small person I didn't take to it. She also taught me to crochet, and I can make a granny square because of her. She's enabled me in ways no-one ever has - my spinning wheel and my sewing machine are thanks to her.
"Joyce" named after my nan
My mum has always been so encouraging as well. She taught me to cross stitch, and I spent most of my childhood as a cross stitcher. When I damaged my knee and was on crutches for 11 weeks, I spent that time cross stitching. My mum and my dad took me to some stitch and craft show in London on a coach trip, and they bought me lots of Ancient Egyptian kits. One day I will get them framed and display them proudly!

My great grandma used to be a great crafter. When I saw her in October 2010 she said she couldn't knit anymore, but she could still crochet, and I saw some little baby outfits she was making. I don't know if she can still do anything, as she was losing her mind (she didn't remember who I was to begin with, and then kept calling me by my mum's name - but my nan does that all the time anyway!), but I hope if I'm still alive in my 90s that I can still craft too.

So here's to my family for all their encouragement throughout the years. Without you I wouldn't be where I am now, I wouldn't have the friends I do, and I certainly wouldn't be able to make my own clothes!

Elle
xxx

PS: My mum has also enabled my love of Snape as she bought me the box set of HP films for Christmas. Does that satisfy the Snape requirement Naomi?!?!

7 comments:

  1. Hahaha love it
    Lovely post - very tenuous link ! I'll let you off
    ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha love it
    Lovely post - very tenuous link ! I'll let you off
    ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, what a lovely connection! I'm the only knitter I know in my family, and I sure wish I'd had someone to teach me when I was little - I'd be a friggin' knitting genius by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that I had appreciated it all more when I was younger. My childminder is a fantastic seamstress, and I'd be sewing so well if i'd asked her to teach me.

      Delete
  4. My mum taught me to knit so many times when I was younger but I never had the patience until now. If I dropped a stitch or couldn't quite get the hang of casting off then I would just quit until the next time I'd ask my mum to teach me again. This little pattern must have gone on for about 6 years before I completely gave up. I only tried again because when I had children I felt that I had the patience to take it on. Turns out I was right :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous post, thank you. My Grandma taught me to knit, my mum taught me to crochet. Of course I forgot both techniques over time, but they came back swiftly once I decided to re-learn. I love that as I knit something for my brother's forthcoming child, I remember sitting with Grandma and knitting for that same brother, some weeks before he was born. She must have felt the same about knitting across the generations too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...